Monday, November 25, 2013

One Book, One Class

Last spring the city of Dallas conducted a One City One Read campaign with the book Fahrenheit 451.  As a librarian in a Dallas high school, we handed the book out to every student, organized reading events, and had a final movie and popcorn party to wrap up.
I really love this idea, giving students books, and reading together with them.  Since I am now in Garland, I began thinking I would like to begin a project with my new school.  I decided to start small, with only the 9th grade AVID students.  AVID is a program to prepare students for college.  Reading for pleasure is an important part of the AVID process, it gives students vocabulary skills, and increases their reading endurance.  Plus, I love this book!  Since becoming a librarian, I miss teaching novels to students.  I thought this would be a great opportunity to give students an amazing book to read.
I wrote up a proposal, and my principal purchased the books.  Last Friday and this morning we kicked off our event.
 
 



The AVID teacher and I arranged for a Books and Breakfast event.  Students brought the food, she supplied the hot chocolate and paper goods, and I created a Smore with information about the book.
I explained to students how much I loved this book, and how excited I am to be reading it with them.  We watched the book trailer, and I talked about how awesome John Green is.  Hopefully some of them will check out his nerdfighting vlog.  Then I gave every student their book.  I also had markers for them so they could write their names in their very own book.  We then watched John Green read the first chapter while they had their breakfast.
Many students had heard of the book and were very excited to read it.  Some has read it before, but were still excited to read it again.  I really think this is a book students can relate to, both boys and girls.  And I hope this will be an experience they remember.
I'll keep you posted on the progress of our reading!
If you haven't read The Fault in Our Stars yet- what are you waiting for?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment