Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Adult Books

Yes, it does happen to me:  Young Adult Burnout.  Not often, but there are times when the teenage angst is too much for me to bear.  The love triangles, the drama, the running into trouble when YOU KNOW BETTER, can get...trying.  When that happens I tend to branch into the "big girl" section and choose a book.  Usually just one at a time, and then I return to my comfort zone, feeling refreshed and ready to read on.  Here are a few of my favorites.
What would you do if you found a letter from your husband with the words, "to only be opened upon my death?"  Would you open it?  This is what happens to Cecilia Fitzpatrick while her husband is on a business trip.  She asks him about it, and he begs her to destroy it, unopened.  She decides to open it and I was completely shocked by its' contents.  Very rarely have I been so surprised by a book.  If you're looking for a quick read, pick this one up.  It's soooo good.

I was a little late in the game on this one.  I'm not sure how I missed it, because it is also a brilliant book, so beautifully written.  Gogol Ganguli is the child of Indian immigrants.  Named for a Russian writer, Gogol struggles to fit in.  His parents hold on very tightly to their Indian heritage and customs, as Gogol and his sister identify more with American traditions.  The novel spans through his parents lives, and then through his, so you get a feeling of where both sides are coming from.  A fantastic book.
Tom and Isabel Sherboune live on an isolated island off the coast of Australia, tending to the lighthouse.  The supply boat only comes twice a year, but they build a life for themselves, and seem quite happy.  The only problem is their unability to have children.  When a baby washes up on shore, Isabel and Tom begin raising her as their own, thinking their prayers have been answered.  But where did the baby come from?  Who does she really belong to?  The answers, and how Tom and Isabel deal with them, make for very compelling reading.
The Night Circus is unlike anything I have ever read.  A truly beautiful novel, full of figurative language.  The book focuses on Celia and Marco, two magician who have been trained to best each other in a magical duel.  The night circus serves as the backdrop and there are many who are affected by its presence.






No comments:

Post a Comment