Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Girl of Fire and Thorns

Elisa is the second daughter of a king.  She is also God's chose one.  She carries the "godstone" under her navel and through this is linked to Him.  She is married to a king that has a kingdom in turmoil, but he ignores her and presses her to keep their marriage a secret.  Since Elisa carries the Godstone, she is constantly at risk.  Savages want to rip it from her belly, sorcerers want to use it for black magic, and a revolutionary thinks it could be there savior.  When she is kidnapped from the castle, she is forced to learn to take care of herself, and keep herself alive.
I enjoy this type of fantasy novel.  It is set in a different time, but is still believable.  Elisa makes a complete 180 during the course of the novel, and really had me rooting for her by the end.  She is not a very likable character at the beginning, so I was glad to see her make a transformation.  This is a trilogy, with books 2 and 3 already published, but I didn't jump to read them immediately.  I think I will eventually, but I have to be in the right mood for fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment