Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Someday, Someday, Maybe

Frances Banks has an approaching deadline.  She gave herself 3 years to make it as an actress in New York City.  After she graduated from college, her boyfriend, Clark, went to law school, and she figured if three years is good enough for him to reach his goal, she should be able too as well.  However, she only has 6 months left, and all she has to show for it is one commercial an ugly Christmas sweater.  She begins to doubt her decision and thinks she should just marry Clark and move to Chicago.  She is taking acting classes and is encouraged by a showcase for the students that gets her an agent (FINALLY) but not much else.  She really works hard to never give, even though she is really knocked down.  I thought this was a great book about never giving up on your dreams, and the hard work is sometimes takes to get where you are meant to be.
I did enjoy this book.  The writing, is quick and witty.  I loved Franny, and think she is a very likable character, even though she makes lots of questionable choices- especially when it comes to James Franklin, the slick actor in her class that is a known flirt.  I admit I picked up this book because it was written by THE Lorelei Gilmore, and as a Gilmore Girls fan, I thought it was something I had to read.  I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.  However, Franny is in her mid-twenties, and though nothing is inappropriate in the book, I'm not sure it would work in a high school library. I don't know how well students would relate to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment