Thursday, January 9, 2014

Happy New Year!

I was able to knock out a lot of reading over the Christmas break. I tried to read some of the new book we just got into our library, and started one series that is a favorite of some of my students.
Zoe has a horrible secret.  She is a murderer.  She got away with it, everyone thinks it was an accident, and life moves on as normal.  The problem is, the secret is getting too much for her to handle.  So she decides to tell someone.   Who better than an inmate on death row?  He accidentally murdered his wife, so he must understand, right?  Zoe's story is told through letters to this inmate.  She confesses everything in great detail, starting at the beginning.  She includes details about her family, friends, and the impact the murder has had on her life.  I don't want to give away too much, but there is an interesting plot twist that kept me wanting to get to the end.  A quick and enjoyable read.

I finally got around to reading Eleanor and Park.  This book has been on my radar for a long time, some of my students have read it and loved it, Amazon lists it as one of the best YA books for 2013, and I do enjoy a good love story.
Eleanor doesn't fit in.  She has crazy red hair, the wrong clothes, and no friends.  She sits beside Park on the bus on the first day of school, after being tormented by the other kids.  He ignores her.  High school is hard enough without being seen talking to the new, weird girl.  But, Park doesn't quite fit in either.  He is part Korean, and unfortunately inherited his mother's short stature.  He likes comic books and karate, so he just tries to stay out of the way.   Park begins to notice Eleanor reading his comic books over his shoulder on the bus, and slowly a friendship forms.  He gives her comics and tapes of his favorite bands and it turns into a sweet love story.  Eleanor has a horrible home life and seeks refuge in Park's home and family.  A first love story with all the moments, feelings, and struggles of teenage romance.  Set in 1986 it also provides a flashback to the fabulous 80s.
Highly recommended.  I think many students will get wrapped up in the love story and understand the intense emotions Eleanor and Park feel.
Fallen is book one of a series that began in 2009.  Many girls read it, and read it again, so I thought I would give it a try.
Luce is a sixteen year old, sent to the reform school, Swords & Cross.  The school is made up of delinquents and criminals, and she doesn't feel she fits in with them.  During the previous summer she had been with a boy who died in a fire.  She couldn't remember anything that happened, just that the dark, dangerous shadows that follow her around were there.  The judge had agreed to send Luce to Swords & Cross instead of juvenile detention.  She is immediately attracted to Daniel, a gorgeous boy she swears she has met before.  He completely ignores her, even goes out of his way to avoid her.  Cam is another beautiful boy, who showers her with gifts and attention, but she can't shake her attraction to Daniel.  She begins to have visions of Daniel with velvet wings, carrying her in his arms away from danger...and that's about where I gave up.  I just couldn't get into it.  I had a recent discussion with a girl who reads these books over and over. so teenage girls see something I don't.  There are 4 books total and it does seem, according to Amazon, the book get better near the ending of the series.  However, I tend to think the only ones stick through until the end saw that thing I didn't.  Not for me.

Jane Green is my favorite "chick lit" author.  This was my adult read over the break, although it did deal with teenagers and teenage issues.  I did enjoy it, but wouldn't order it for my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment